INDIAN STATE: UTTARAKHAND
Uttarakhand is the twenty-seventh state of the country.
The state was created on 9th November 2000. The total
population of the state according to the 2001 census
is 84.89 lakh. The population density is 159 (per square
kilometer). It is surrounded by China and Nepal on its
international boundary. On the domestic boundary, Uttar
Pradesh, Himachal Pradesh and Nainital surround Uttarakhand.
In recent years, Uttarakhand has emerged as one of
the most attractive industrial destinations in India.
The government is encouraging private participation
in all industrial activities and as a result big players
such as HUL and Dabur have set up units in the state.
The New Industrial Policy announced in 2003 by the state
government puts in place the regulatory framework for
Uttarakhand's industrialisation. The New Industrial
Policy indicates that private resources may be tapped
while promoting integrated Industrial Estates in Uttarakhand.
||0.53(lakh sq. km)
|Population (2001 Census)
||In lakhs 84.89
|Percentage of State Population
to All India Population
- Udyog Mitra- State level facilitation body has
been set up.
- State Industrial Development Corporation of Uttarakhand
Limited (SIDCUL) has been created to ensure all facilities
- Industrial estates have been established at Haridwar,
Pantnagar, Sitargunj, Selakui, Kotdwar, and various
- New Industrial Policy with wide range of fiscal
and non-fiscal incentives.
- The State has rich mineral deposits of limestone,
soapstone, magnesite etc., besides minor minerals.
Resource mapping is being undertaken.
- Action is being taken to simplify and rationalize
the Labour Laws.
- Concessional Industrial Package Announced
- Land Bank - A dedicated land bank being created
to provide land for projects across the table.
- Peaceful and Secure Industrial Environment.
- Hydro Power Resource - Potential powerhouse of the
Nation. Only 9% of the total hydropower potential
has been tapped till now. Uttarakhand is a land of
vast water resources. It is proposed to scientifically
utilize the immeasurable water wealth and make Uttarakhand
an energy state by the year 2016. Tehri dam will prove
a major asset in fulfilling this aim.
- Tourism Potential Unmatched - Mountain, leisure,
Spiritual, Adventure, Religious, Eco-traditional and
high-end tourism along with related services.
- Good Quality of Life - Healthy climate and Pollution
- Major Climate Zones in close Geographical proximity.
- 175 species of Medicinal Herbs found in Uttarakhand.
- Proactive government.