INDIAN STATE : MEGHALAYA
"the abode of clouds" became a full-fledged
State on January 21, 1972. The State of Meghalaya is
situated on the north east of India; it extends for
about 300 kilometers in length and about 100 kilometers
in breadth. It is bounded on the north by Goal Para,
Kamrup, Nagoan and Karbi Anglong districts of Assam
State and on the east by the Districts of Cachar and
North Cachar Hills, also of the State of Assam. On the
south and west is Bangladesh. Meghalaya lies between
20º1 'N and 26º5 latitude and 85º49 'E
and 92.52 "E longitude. The state of Meghalaya
has 7-districts:(i) East Khasi Hills District (ii) West
Khasi Hills District (iii) Jaintia Hills District (iv)
Ri-Bhoi District (v) West Garo Hills District (vi) East
Garo Hills District and (vii) South Garo Hills.Shillong
is the capital city of Meghalaya, which derived its
name from the manifestation of the creator called Shyllong.
(2001 Census) In lakhs
Domestic product (GSDP) at current prices in 2004-2005
(as of Feb 2006)
Domestic product (GSDP) at constant price (1993-94)
in 2004-2005 (as of Feb 2006)
Domestic Product at Current Prices (2004-05)
Domestic Product at Constant Prices (1993-1994)
Income at current prices (2004-2005)
of State Population to All India Population
Garo, and English
Source: CSO Estimates
- A peaceful and progressive state economy in north-
east region of India
- A congenial invstment climate.
- A storehouse of vast natural resources, such as
minerals, agricultural products, forest products,
hydel power, etc.
- A liberalized state industrial policy providing
attractive incentives and subsidies with single window
- Availability of skilled but cheap manpower.
- An automatic choice for tourists with its pleasant
climate, scenic landscape, and other facilities.
- Special central government incentives for investment
- Favorable regulatory environment.
- Industrial estates/areas, Export Promotion Industrial
Parks (EPIP) and growth centres set up at strategic
locations within the State.
- Adequate infrastructure particularly in terms of
power, transportation, communication, banking, medical
facilities, education etc; surplus power being exported
to neighboring states and countries.
- A ready market in the Northeast and the neighboring
countries viz. Bangladesh.
- The state capital Shillong is an important centre
for education in the Northeast.
- Communication is easy - English being the widely