INDIAN STATE : ORISSA
Agriculture is the prominent sector in Orissa's economy.
In Orissa 65% work force derives employment from agriculture.
Land use pattern in the state:
(In lakh hects)
|Land not available for cultivation
|Misc. tree crops
|Net area sown
|Grass Cropped area
Thrust areas targeted by the government
in agriculture sector
- Dry land agriculture on watershed basis
- Production of commercial crops - cotton, sugarcane,
- Agricultural Intensification with water management
in irrigation command
- Quality seed production through seed village approach
- Small farm mechanization & agro service center
- Creation of farmer's market (Kissan mandi)
- Information Technology in Agriculture
- Infrastructure development (Agro-processing, Cold
storage, Seed processing etc.)
Special Schemes for agriculture
A number of special schemes both internally and externally
aided are operating in the state. Some of the important
schemes aided by Govt.of India are
- Integrated Cereals Development Programme (Rice)
- National Pulse Development Programme (NPDP)
- Oilseed Production Programme (OPP)
- Special Jute Development Programme (SJDP)
- Intensive Cotton Development Programme (ICDP, Cotton)
These are basically crop-oriented scheme with the main
objectives of increasing production and productivity
through better-input supply, extension support and infrastructural
facilities. Supply of inputs at subsidized rate, seed
village programme for production of certified seeds,
laying of block demonstration, distribution of minikits
to popularize new varieties, farm mechanization are
some of the novel features of these schemes.
Highlights and achievements during
2005-06 of agriculture sector
- 628 Block Level Farmer's Awareness Campaign (Krushak
Sampark Mela) observed in all the 314 blocks one in
Kharif and one in Rabi.
- IEC material like booklets (1,80,000), leaflets
(10,56,000) and posters (3,60,000) have been prepared
and distributed to the farmers.
- 250 farmers have visited other states and 1000
farmers have visited within the state under Farmer's
- 2500 demonstrations on popularization of Rabi cultivation
in rainfed areas have been conducted.
- 9085 paddy minikit trials of different varieties
including hybrids have been conducted during Kharif
- 31765 pulse and 51397 oilseed minikit trials have
- 200 Farmer Field Schools (FFS) on rice, 42 FFS
on Jute and 50 FFS on sugarcane have been conducted.
- 3325 farm ponds have been executed in the scheme
enhancing sustainability of dry land farming system
under work plan Macro management.
- Popularisation of farm machineries like tractor
drawn rotavator, self-propelled rice transplanter,
reaper, axial flow thresher, hydraulic trailer, paddy
thresher/winnower are gaining momentum.
- An area of 1.77-lakh hectare has been brought under
irrigation through installation of 62,972 private
irrigation projects like shallow tube well, medium
tube well and bore well.
- The per hectare power input has been increased
from 0.60 kw to 0.714 kw
Horticulture based farming system is emerging as the
most productive practice for augmenting additional income
to the small landholders of the state. Various crops
like fruits, vegetables, floricultural crops, medicinal
and aromatic plants, spices and plantation crops are
Area and production of Horticultural crops
||2.37 lakh ha.
||14.03 lakh MT.
||6.29 lakh ha.
||78.08 lakh MT.
|Ornamental(Flowering & foliage)
||592 ha 19275 qntls
||20 lakh nos. of spike (Gladioli)
||1.71 lakh ha.
||4.39 lakh MT.
||0.508 lakh ha.
||2750 lakh nuts
National Horticulture Mission has provided a boost
to the horticultural development of the state not only
to be self-sufficient but also to emerge as a hub of
export of horticultural produce to the neighbouring
states as well as to other countries in the commercial
horticultural crops and spices. Out of 30 districts
19 districts of the state has been covered under National